Wednesday 14 January 2009

Findings and old stuff

Yesterday I read The Ecologist on the bus when I was coming home from aerobic. I love reading in the bus and the one magazine in question is one of my favourites to take with me when I'm "travelling". The stories are both interesting and important and the balance between scientific and informal texts is very good.


There was a story about Karen Lubbock, who publishes a magazine simply called Karen. The magazine is the opposite of glossy celebtrity and lifestyle magazines, it mainly tells about everyday life. The newest number has photos about goose-pimpled bum, greasy fry-up and a story about local butcher. Doesn't sound like Cosmopolitan or Elle to me :) I don't like to read those basic women magazines, because I just don't find those stories about celebrities and makeup tips interesting, but if Karen would be a bit cheaper, I'd order it right away. In my opinion everyday life is a lot more charming than photoshopped pictures about models. Too bad there isn't such magazines like Karen in Finland or at least I haven't heard of any.


Yesterday I also received post from Interpedia with a photo of my godchild in Thailand called Saiyai. She has grown so much! She needs support, because her dad is dead and her mom is poor and tries to take care of the whole family. The situation for women especially is not very good in Thailand, but if girls get more educated and are aware of their rights, that will surely improve the situation.

I decided to take a godchild couple of years ago and although I'm short of money at the moment, I want to pay the monthly fee to ensure that Saiyai can go to school. There are also other international programs like Plan or World Vision which make life better for children living in development countries. I decided to choose Interpedia, because it's smaller and doesn't have christianity as its base value. I've received 3 letters from Saiyai already and it's nice to get a new photo every year and see how she gets that kind of adult look in her eyes.



I was reading one blog where was a nice photo of a borzoi. I found 2 old photos, where my grandparents old borzoi called Ville is first suffering from me and then feeling happy with me. If I'll ever take a dog, it will be borzoi :)



2 comments:

  1. Nice photos :)
    But on them dog looks enjoying with being with people, on my blog photo, she is so sad and tired :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katten försvann, thank you :)

    Maybe those dogs don't like to travel a lot, I think they're happiest when they can run completely free outside :)

    ReplyDelete