Tuesday 20 January 2009

B

Today I've been playing a bit Batmud. Why? 1) I love computer games 2) it's totally free and you can log in from every computer 3) I have friends there 4) it has lots of things to do 5) I don't have to listen to women speaking about women things (but I don't know if it's any better that I need to listen to men speaking about men things...). Batmud was created in 1990 and it's kind of predecessor of World of Warcraft. It's text-based, so there are no pictures in it contrary to WoW. The language used is English although the game itself is Finnish and most of the players are Finns, but there are many players from the US and other foreign countries as well.

I've been playing Batmud for 2 ½ years now and during that time I've got lots of friends. I've met several and for example one year ago my friend Ivan came from Canada and spent one week at my place. These days Batmud is more like a chatting place for me, but occasionally I still play a bit. At the moment I'm playing 90-level nuntemplar and my main things are to turn undeads, dispel evils and as a member of Synod (council of the 5 nun leaders) I keep prayers couple of times a week. I don't like "real" roleplaying and I'm not acting like I'm a real nun in the game. There are not many roleplayers in Batmud and that is very good.

Batmud is going to celebrate it's 20th "birthday" next year and I'm sure there's going to be a big party where lots of people from all around the world will gather. I'd like to go there myself too :)


Today I also received a copy of my favourite magazine of Bitch. It's an American feminist magazine, which I ordered one year ago and I haven't been disappointed. It's published 4 times a year and every magazine has about 100 pages of interesting articles to read. Most of the time I agree with the topics these articles write about and I'm just happy that someone else thinks the way I do too :)

I also order Finnish feminist magazine called Tulva, but it's just not as good as Bitch. Sometimes the opinions in Tulva just go a bit too far in my opinion. For example I just don't think that voting for a women candidate in election because of her sex isn't a sign of proper feminism...If that would be feminism, I wonder if feminist women in USA should have voted for Sarah Palin instead of Barack Obama just because Sarah is a woman. That is a scary thought.



It's cold outside and I finished my fingerless mittens. I love the colour and also the Icelandic yarn called Létt-Lopi, which is very warm outside although it's minus 10 celsius. I tried them yesterday when I went to the centre and I didn't need other gloves :) I found the yarn from discount basket in a local yarn shop and when I saw it, I just had to have it. I can't resist anything bluegreen or icelandic. I've been to Iceland once when my uncle got married with an icelandic woman and I loved the nature, people and animals in there. I wish one day it would be possible for me to visit that country again :)

3 comments:

  1. I did not know about this game :)
    well maybe becasue i do not like and can not play computer games :)

    and I like Iceland too. I like their language and people who has saved "old vikings" language :) Nature is good too, especially hot springs !

    ReplyDelete
  2. äyää, mäkin varmaan tykkäisin tosta pelistä mutta en taivu englantiin :0 gviidh ja nyyh.
    ja kivat noi käsineet :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katten försvann, most people don't know about that game, it's already old and not so popular anymore :) And I agree, icelandic is very beautiful language and when icelandic people like Björk speak english, it sounds somehow so cute!

    Kirsinen, tossa pelissä on sisällä sanakirja! Sitä käytän itekin aina kun yritän kirjotella englanniks tänne näitä juttuja :) Älä anna siis enkun lannistaa!

    ReplyDelete