Sunday 29 March 2009

Future library? Shadows?

My week has been rather busy again. I had one meeting day, one training day, one library car day. I heard interesting things about how we could get young people to use libraries again...In Espoo there's for example game room and game evenings for young people and they're very popular, especially amongst immigrants. That's how I'd love to see library! Things are just changing - young people are not so interested in reading books anymore, so libraries should offer something they're interested in = dvd's and games. I'm sure the change is coming, but it might take a long time until it reaches us here :)

I'm not sure if library car is something we have only in Finland -> They're like busses filled with books and they stop at schools in day time and in small villages in the evenings. I used to visit one when I was a child, because it stopped quite close to our place then. It was very fun to see that still there are some people who are enthusiastic about books, particularly pre-school children ;)

It has been sunny and I took photos of the shades of the trees on different walls. Sometimes I feel that I can see beautiful things everywhere! It's just about the attitude :) And some days I just look at my feet when I'm walking forward and don't see anything special.

I haven't done the dishes in ages. And the ants are taking over the kitchen. Instead of doing anything reasonable, I use my new face cream from Raw Gaia and enjoy the scent, dream about other organic products (luckily pound is very cheap at the moment!) and listen to Spotify at the same time as I read Ursula K. Le Guin's Kahdesti haarautuva puu (originally "The Telling"). I love Ursula. Bye for now.

4 comments:

  1. Kerro lisää kirjasta kun olet lukenut, itselläkin listalla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arttu, oon lukenut ton jo englanniksi ja se ainakin oli loistava :) Mut kerron tuon luettuani, kumpi versio kannattaa valita!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately library is not very popular among young people not only in Finland.
    Somehow new generation have stopped reading paper books, instead they are reading online or on their palms (the ones who are reading, most ones are not interested at reading at all)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that's sad :( I saw some photos from the libraries in Malmö and Denmark and those places looked very new and great places! So I wonder why young people are not going there although they can also borrow games etc. In Finland teachers bring their classes to the library and that's how children are kind of educated to use the library...But young people between 12-20 are just not satisfied with the services we have.

    I wonder what's going to happen in the future!

    ReplyDelete