Friday 6 February 2009

Korean food experimental


My plan today was to prepare Korean food. I accidentally found a blog called Kimchi Finland, where I found some Korean food recipes which can be made from the ingredients we have in Finland. 된장 찌개 was very easy to make and the taste was spicy but friendly :D

And as always, I had to count on my old but still working rice cooker, which I got from my Hyeyeon. Rice cooker isn't a must if you prepare Korean food, but it makes rice cooking so much easier :) You just add rice and water and push the button! It's possible to find rice cookers also from finnish shops (I've seen them in Sokos at least).



First I needed to go to the shop to buy potatoes, zuccini, mushrooms and a chili pepper. Vegetables were quite cheap except zuccini, which was nearly 3 euros. Regardless of that, this Korean food is very cheap (and easy) to make.

First I had to chop all the vegetables in cubes. In addition of the foods I bought from the shop I added onion and garlic. I didn't use shrimps or any meat, but it's possible to use them too. I put the vegetables into a large pot, poured water over them and let them boil for some time.


Then it gets a bit tricky, because Korean pastes can be found only from Asian markets in Helsinki :( My packages are quite old, but the paste stays good for a long time, so I just used them. Korean fermented soybean paste called doenjang (된장) is one of the main ingredients in this dish. It's very healthy because of the fermentation and it tastes very salty.



The other sauce I used in this dish was gochujang (고추장) which is my favourite hot paste ever! It's also kind of fermented soy bean paste but the difference between doenjang and gochujang are the red chili powder and glutinous rice powder in the latter one. I love the hot taste of this sauce and gochujang (and sesame oil) really is the "Korean flavour" for me :)

Back to cooking again...I mixed couple of teaspoons doenjang and couple of teaspoons gochujang, added some water and boiled the paste a bit. Then it was time to pour the sauce over the vegetables and mix. I also added tofu cubes and let the food boil for couple of minutes. And then?

Food was ready! It looks like a soup, but it's supposed to be eaten with rice which is rather difficult to find from my photo...There is some though! The chili pieces were hot, but not too hot and tofu didn't have dull taste because of the sauce. This is a very good dish to eat when it's cold outside (-15 now!) or if you're sick (like my boyfriend is).

But this food can't win my ultimate favourite Korean food, tteokbokki (떡볶이)! When I cook it the next time, I can blog it too :)


8 comments:

  1. I only see squares where you have written something in korean... Well, I wouldn't understand it anyway!

    It's good that you are studying korean! And how is Juha doing with japanese?

    By the way, zuccinis cost about 15 cents here at the moment ;)

    Nelson got a job! So we have to move about 700 km from here to south! I am looking for jobs in Finland. The bad thing is that my mom is coming here and Nelson has to start working.. what to do!?

    I hope to see you in messenger some day!

    Paranemista Juhikselle!
    t. Tuula

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same squares too but I installed korean language pack :)

    Juha is doing well with japanese, he was just sick so he didn't go to any classes this week. Too bad our japanese friends are leaving back to Japan already in the end of this month, because now it's the time for graduating students to start looking for a job :O

    How long your mom is going to stay there? It's nice that she's coming :)

    But now back to skijumping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Korean food (well i just like Asian food a lot :P ) Usually, I cook vegetable "Ragu" as a garnire for different meat dishes.
    It is so easy and so tasty, and what is the most important Healthy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom comes with a sister of my dad. She'll stay here about 2,5 weeks!

    We'll go and pick them up from the airport in Santiago. I'll go shopping in the capital! Healthy vegetarian stuff, spices... etc! Already looking forward to that, well, to seeing my mom as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, somehow this used nelson's account!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katten försvann, it's very special that you know Korean food! Usually people think it's the same as chinese or japanese, but the taste is different in my opinion :) And true, Korean food is so much healthier than normal western food!

    Tuula, have a nice time with your mom :) And greetings from me too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You cook 된장찌개 very well! It looks much better than my 된장찌개. I also make it quite often on weekend at home, it's easy to prepare in short time :) Today after work, I will make 떡볶이 for dinner with my roommate! I hope we eat together hihi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hyeyeon!!!! HELLO!!! How are you?????????
    I'm going to make 떡볶이 probably next week, I still remember how you taught me to make it :) I have one bag of rice cakes, that should be enough.

    Korean food <3 I miss you!! I'll write a letter for you soon :)

    ReplyDelete