Sunday 30 August 2009

Tallinn. And the presumable lack of vitamins.

It's nice to think about my holiday week, it has been the most exhausting week ever. Not enough people at work, too much stress, just pure weariness. Upcoming savings next year mean just more work for people who have steady jobs and no work for people who work occasionally. And then there are wishes that library should be open also on Saturdays or one hour longer every day... I guess I'm just too young and I haven't understood how hard the work life is these days. Maybe I'm lacking some vitamins.

But my day in Tallinn was sunny, a bit windy, almost cloudless.

I was basically sleeping in the boat, waking up at 5.30 always takes its toll. Luckily I was not the only one, also Ivan was being a sleepyhead. He's my Canadian friend, my second time to meet him, last time I saved him from fainting and hitting his head. Sauna is too perilous place for some people!


Like last time I visited Tallinn, I really enjoyed the old town, beautiful buildings. I got the feeling I want to stay in one of those teeny hotels, where you can open the wooden shutters and watch out from the window early in the morning and see the tiniest alley and maybe birds. I also love inner courts, small shops and cafes, cobblestone roads, roasted almonds. The unevenness of houses, carefree atmosphere, something in the air that's impossible to find from angular Helsinki. Why we have to be so serious and grey.




I was eager to find the same shops from the centre which I visited last time. When it's impossible to find colourful clothes from Finland, it's a lot easier to discover them in Tallinn. There I'm not XS, I'm S. Also my tea collection got a lot bigger, dear old Pickwick's and Teekanne's and Yogi's. The same incense brand was waiting for me in the same shop as two years ago and now my home is full of jasmin and green tea ethereal feeling. We also decided to drink smoothies in a quite fancy cafe, mine had blueberries, mint leaves and lime juice in it!


After walking around for 8 hours the ferry finally started its way back to Helsinki. Oh, ferry didn't walk, we did. Before finally going to sleep, we managed to meet my aunt for food and pick up this handsome young German man Vladimir from the airport. But what happened next? I'll write about that later.

(don't look so angry Vladimir!)

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good!

    The holiday, not the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss all that walking from one place to another. MORE HOLIDAY FOR ME PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you should have more holidays and come for a visit to beautiful Viitasaari!

    ReplyDelete